Monday, December 7, 2015

Week #21--December 7, 2015

Well, this week was awesome!

First off: Elder Golden and I are like best friends. So it's a blast going out to work every day. And boy are we going out to work every day. We get back to the apartment at the end of the day extremely exhausted. I never thought I would ever miss the feeling of being so tired, but it feels so good!

We've had a bunch of prepared investigators drop right in our lap, and have met so many interested people while out tracting (It works, and I'll never let anyone convince me otherwise). The members are getting a fire lit beneath them for missionary work, which is so cool to see! They're offering to come out with us more and more, and one stay-at-home mom even asked to a trade off, where we do house and yard work for her so that she can make more time to come do work with us and/or visit some people that are harder to visit. What great blessings we have received from the Lord!
On a more serious note, it was very heartbreaking and scary for many people down here. San Bernadino does not seem that far, especially considering the Rancho Cucamonga mission is a large chunk of the old San Bernadino mission. But the tragic events combined with Christmas have opened the hearts of many, and it's been cool to see.
I have had a lot of spiritual insights this last week, but the big one I'd like to share comes with a story and one of my favorite Book of Mormon scriptures that I've been thinking a lot about. There was a family down in Rancho that we were teaching for a bit who wanted us to bring them spiritual healing. And that was the main reason they had called for us to come, was for that spiritual healing. They were a little frustrated when we taught them messages like the Restoration and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and not scriptures that gave comfort, and didn't bring them the spiritual healing they desired. Thus brings to mind one of my favorite passages:

(3 Nephi 9)
13 O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you? 14 Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed arethose who come unto me.
I love this, because it shows that for Christ to heal us, we need to come unto him, repent and be converted. True healing comes from following Christ. We cannot expect Christ to fix the problem for us unless we are willing to allow him. The Atonement paid the price for everything. Every pain, every sorrow, and every sin can be healed through the Atonement. Christ has even given us a road map to success. I've been studying a lot in Isaiah and one thing I really enjoyed from my studies today was when he said this:

"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light:" Not sat in darkness. Not moped in darkness, but those that walked. Those that were willing to keep moving and to keep trying their best to progress even though the world around them was in shadows. Even though it seemed as if there was no hope in the immediate, near or even distant future. These are they who saw the great light.

So to those who are in a spiritual dakrness, or who are suffering from a spiritual affliction; no matter the form, keep walking. Keep going. Keep trying. As we follow Christ through our small and simple actions (like reading the scriptures, praying, preaching the gospel, repenting, etc.) we will be shown  THE "Great Light" and through Him we will be healed.

I am in love with my mission and all the people here in California! I am so blessed to know all of you and to have you all as friends. I'm grateful for the love and support you have all shown me and pray that you all continue to draw close to your Savior.

Church is True!


No comments:

Post a Comment